Adventures in Boating Washington Handbook
The Official Boating Handbook of the Washington State Parks - Web Version
Table of Contents
Annual Excise Tax on Vessels
Registered vessels 16 ft. or longer are subject to an excise tax.
- Vessels used exclusively for commercial fishing
- Vessels under 16 ft. in overall length
- Vessels owned and operated by the United States or by a state, municipality, or political subdivision of the U.S.
- Vessels owned by a nonprofit organization engaged in character building of boys and girls under 18 years of age and used solely for such purposes
- Vessels owned and held for sale by a dealer
Excise tax is calculated at one-half of one percent (0.5%) of the fair market value of your vessel or the purchase price if it reflects fair market value. To view an excise tax schedule, visit www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/boats.html.