About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Washington Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Washington Boater Education Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a unique 12-digit number assigned by the manufacturer to vessels built after 1972.

Hull identification number
  • Hull Identification Numbers:
    • Distinguish one vessel from another­—the same as serial numbers distinguish one car from another.
    • Are engraved in the fiberglass or on a metal plate permanently attached to the transom.
    • Are required when applying for Washington registration.
  • You should write down your HIN and put it in a place separate from your vessel in case warranty problems arise or your vessel is stolen.
  • All vessels used on the waters of Washington State must have an HIN. If your vessel has no HIN, you can apply for one at any vehicle/vessel licensing office. Visit the Washington State Department of Licensing website for locations. For information on how to display your HIN, refer to the document "Hull Identification Number (HIN) Display Instructions."