About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Washington Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Washington Boater Education Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • A vessel’s registration is valid through June 30. It must be renewed beginning July 1 of each year.
    • Courtesy renewal notices are no longer mailed to registered vessel owners.
    • To sign up to receive e-mail renewal reminders for a vessel, trailer, or vehicle, visit the Washington State Department of Licensing. Click on "Get e-mail renewal reminders" under "Vehicle and Boat Registration" on the home page.
  • All vessels that require registration must be titled also. Titles are obtained through the Washington Department of Licensing.
  • The owner of a registered vessel must notify the Department of Licensing within 15 days if any of these events occur:
    • The vessel is abandoned, destroyed, lost, or stolen or...
    • The owner’s address changes or...
    • The registration card is lost or destroyed.
  • The owner of a registered vessel must notify the Department of Licensing in writing, on the appropriate form, within five business days of the date of sale or transfer of the vessel.
  • Larger recreational vessels (five net tons or larger) owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1‑800‑799‑8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered in Washington and display current registration decals, but are not required to display the registration number.