About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Washington Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Washington Boater Education Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

What To Do in Case of Discharge

If your vessel discharges oil or hazardous substances in the water, Washington law requires that you immediately call both of these emergency spill agencies (24 hours a day, 7 days a week):

  • The National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802
  • The Washington State Department of Emergency Management at 1-800-258-5990

For information on spill prevention and response, visit the Department of Ecology's web page concerning spills.

For information on where to recycle oil, call the Washington Department of Ecology, Recycling Hotline at 1-800-732-9253.