Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Number is divided into three parts, with the first part indicating the state. A space must separate each part. For example: WV 3717 ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on both sides of the bow, within six inches of the last character in the registration number.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate it unless the vessel is registered and numbered.