About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed West Virginia Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your West Virginia Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • All motorized vessels (including sailboats that have a motor) purchased in West Virginia by the current owner after July 1, 1989, must have a title.
  • A vessel's registration is valid for three years and expires on the last day of March in the year indicated on the Certificate of Number and decals. Owners of registered vessels will be sent a renewal notice automatically.
  • If a numbered vessel is destroyed or abandoned, the owner must report it to the Commissioner of the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 15 days of the event.
  • If you change your address, you must notify the Commissioner of the DMV within 15 days of the change.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles. Call the DMV at 1-800-642-9066 for more information.
Registration Questions?

Call the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at 1-800-642-9066 or visit one of its offices.

Application forms for obtaining a Certificate of Number and validation decals are available at any branch office of the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a licensed recreational vehicle dealer, or the Division of Natural Resources (DNR). You also can request an application from the DMV by mail:

Division of Motor Vehicles
5707 MacCorkle Avenue, SE
PO Box 17710
Charleston, West Virginia 25317