About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed West Virginia Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your West Virginia Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In West Virginia, you must have a West Virginia Certificate of Number and validation decals to operate your vessel legally on public waters. The only exceptions are:

  • Public vessels of the United States, West Virginia, or its municipalities
  • Vessels registered in other states using West Virginia waters for 60 days or less
  • Vessels registered in another country using West Virginia waters temporarily
  • Non-motorized vessels such as canoes, rowboats, or sailboats that do not have an auxiliary motor