The Handbook of Wisconsin Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
Before leaving home:
- Secure and evenly distribute all gear in the vessel.
- Properly secure the vessel with tie-down straps.
- Tilt and secure the engine to increase clearance.
- Crisscross the safety chains when attaching them.
- Test the trailer brakes and lights.
Launching your vessel from a trailer:
- Prepare your vessel well away from the boat ramp.
- Back the vessel into the water until the engine’s lower unit can be submerged while on the trailer.
- Warm up the engine. Back the trailer further until the vessel floats. Then back slowly off the trailer.
Retrieving your vessel:
- Back the trailer into the water so that two-thirds of the rollers or bunks are submerged.
- Move the vessel onto the trailer far enough to attach the winch line to the bow eye of the vessel. Finish pulling it onto the trailer by cranking the winch.
- Tow the vessel off the ramp out of the way of others.
- While at the ramp area, remove all weeds from the vessel, remove the drain plug, and drain live wells.