Other Facts About Titling and Registering Your Boat
- Only vessels 16 feet or more in length require a Certificate of Title. Vessel owners may obtain a title from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
- Registration is valid for three years, beginning on April 1 and expiring on March 31 at the end of each three-year period. No vessel may be operated after the registration has expired.
- If a Certificate of Number is lost or destroyed, the vessel owner must apply to the Department of Natural Resources for a duplicate.
- The owner of a registered vessel must notify the Department of Natural Resources within 15 days of the occurrence of any of the following events.
- The owner changes his or her address.
- The owner transfers all or any part of his or her interest in the vessel.
- The vessel is destroyed or abandoned.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered in Wisconsin.
Call the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources at 1-888-936-7463 or visit the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources website.