The Delaware Boater Education Card

Who needs the Boater Education Card?

You need education if you were born after Dec. 31, 1977, and will be operating a motorized vessel in Delaware.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Delaware to take this online course.


The certification is not required for operators who have:

  • A valid U.S. Coast Guard license or…
  • A valid Delaware River Captain and Bay Pilot’s license or equivalent.

You Must Carry the Card

Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.


For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?

The Delaware Boating Safety Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to go boating. Because the Boating education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Delaware Boating License.

I do not have a driver’s license. Can I still get the Delaware Boater Education Certificate?

Yes. You are not required to have a state driver’s license in order to obtain a Boater Education Card.

Other Questions

For these and other questions about your boating card, please check our FAQs.

How do I get a card?

How do I get a replacement card?

Need help? Here are the answers to the questions Delaware Boating students most frequently ask.

Frequently Asked Questions