The Utah Boater Education Card

Who needs the Boater Education Card?

You need education if you are 12 to 17 years old and will be operating a PWC in Utah.

You must be at least 12 years old to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Utah to take this online course.

You Must Carry the Card

Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.


For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?

The Boating Safety Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to go boating. Because the Boating education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Utah Boating License.

I do not have a driver’s license. Can I still get the Utah Boater Education Certificate?

Yes. You are not required to have a state driver’s license in order to obtain a Boater Education Card.

Other Questions

For these and other questions about your boating card, please check our FAQs.

How do I get a card?

How do I get a replacement card?

Get Certified Online!

Take this Utah–approved course to complete your online Boating safety education.

Utah Boating safety education card Lifetime Card

unlimited exam attempts

Utah State Parks
1594 W North Temple #116
Salt Lake City, UT 84116

Need help? Here are the answers to the questions Utah Boating students most frequently ask.

Frequently Asked Questions