What is the Boater Education Card?
The Safe Boating Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved boater safety course. This card allows boating in New Hampshire.
New Hampshire accepts the following certificates or licenses in lieu of the Safe Boating Certificate.
- A boating certificate issued by another state agency and NASBLA approved.
- A boating certificate issued by the U.S. Power Squadrons.
- A boating certificate issued by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the state of New Hampshire.
You Must Carry the Card
Vessel operators who are required to have the New Hampshire Boater Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer. Not carrying your New Hampshire Boater Card when it is required can result in a fine.
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
I do not have a driver’s license. Can I still get the New Hampshire Boater Education Certificate?
Yes. You are not required to have a state driver’s license in order to obtain a Boater Education Card.
For these and other questions about your boating card, please check our FAQs.
Get Certified Online!
Take this New Hampshire–approved course to complete your online boating safety education. Boat-ed.com is a delegated provider for the New Hampshire Marine Patrol.Lifetime Card
unlimited exam attempts