Florida Boating Laws and Regulations
Age and Operator Restrictions
- No one under the age of 14 years may operate a personal watercraft (PWC) on Florida waters at any time, even if such person possesses a Boating Safety Education I.D. Card.
- No one under the age of 18 years may rent/lease a PWC.
- It is also illegal for the owner of a PWC to knowingly allow a person under 14 years of age to operate a PWC.
The law requires that persons affected by this legislation have in their possession a Boating Safety Education I.D. Card issued by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and photographic ID while operating a vessel.
Operators are exempt from needing to get the license if they are:
- Licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel
- Operating on a private lake or pond
- Accompanied on board by a person who is exempt from the education requirement or by a person who is at least 18 years old, possesses the required identification cards, and is attendant to the operation of the vessel and responsible for any violation that occurs
- Operating a vessel within 90 days after purchase and have a bill of sale on board and available for inspection
Florida law enforcement officers patrol the waterways to make your boating experience safe and pleasant. Cooperate with them by following the laws and guidelines.
Carry the Card: Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.
Penalty: Not carrying your Boater Education Card when one is required can result in a fine.
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
Get Certified Online!
Take this Florida–approved online boating course to complete your boaters safety education. Boat-ed.com is a delegated provider for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.Lifetime Card Get Started
get your boating license, unlimited free exam attempts
We’re people, not robots.
Visit our Boat Ed help center for frequently asked questions, troubleshooting, or for further customer support!