Skip to main content

Get Your Saskatchewan Boating License

Transport Canada logo

Take this Transport Canada-approved online course, print your temporary PCOC, and be on the water in just a few hours.

Start the Course

unlimited exam attempts

Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Card Accepted in all Provinces

Saskatchewan Boating License in 3 Easy Steps

The official term is Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC), which is good for all provinces.
  1. Study and Pass the $49.95 CAD Canadian Boater Safety Course

    Study the online course material that includes live-action videos and interactive animations. When you register for the online course, pay $49.95 CAD for the Canadian PCOC exam. You’ll take the timed Transport Canada Boating Safety Test after completing the course. (If you don’t pass the test on the first try, don’t worry. After 24 hours, you’ll have one more attempt to pass.)

  2. Print Your Temporary Card

    After passing the Transport Canada Boating Safety Test, you’ll be able to instantly print out your Temporary PCOC. This is your temporary operating permit for Ontario and all other provinces.

  3. Receive Your PCOC in the Mail

    Your lifetime Canada PCOC will arrive by mail in 2–3 weeks. The Canada PCOC is accepted in Saskatchewan and all other provinces. (Use your Temporary PCOC to get on the water immediately after passing the course and until your permanent card arrives.) With Boat Ed, getting a boating license in Saskatchewan is made easy.

Do you need the Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

You need education if you will be operating a pleasure craft that has a motor and is used for recreational purposes in Canada. Proof of certification from any NASBLA–approved boating course is acceptable.

Transport Canada Requirements

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Canada to take this online course.


Customer Reviews

Boating in Saskatchewan

Do you prefer boating, sailing, water skiing, canoeing, kayaking, or another water sport? No matter what you choose, Saskatchewan with its 100,000 lakes and rivers has a place where you can get out on the water. If you want to boat or sail for long distances, Lake Diefenbaker in the southern part of the province is 220 km long and also offers sandy beaches for you to enjoy. Another scenic area in southern Saskatchewan is the Qu’Appelle Valley with the Pasqua, Echo, Mission, and Katepwa Lakes where you can go boating, water skiing, and sailing in the summer. You could even experience the Legend of the Qu’Appelle, a Cree spirit who roams the valley asking “Who calls?”

If you are looking for other outdoor activities to go along with boating, you can visit any of the 34 provincial parks and almost 100 regional parks located throughout Saskatchewan. Kipabiskau Regional Park, located in the Barrier River Valley, offers opportunities for water skiing, boating, and kayaking as well as camping and hiking. Meadow Lake Provincial Park has a series of more than 20 lakes for boaters and paddlers to enjoy. In northern Saskatchewan, Candle Lake in Candle Lake Provincial Park features crystal clear water and 7 km of sandy beaches along with numerous other activities.

Since Saskatchewan has more sunshine in the summer than any other province, you might decide to boat on one of the province’s four major river systems—North Saskatchewan, South Saskatchewan, Assiniboine, or Churchill. Along the Churchill River, you will find not only Nistowiak Falls, one of the highest waterfalls in Saskatchewan, but also numerous bald eagles during the summer. Paddlers on the Quill Lakes can see a variety of birds, such as black-crowned night herons, marbled godwits, or even endangered piping plovers.

With all of these opportunities for recreational boating and sightseeing, boating safety becomes a primary concern. Nothing ruins an outing on the water faster than a boating accident. By taking a boating safety education course, you will get a basic knowledge of pleasure craft operation, the safety equipment you are required to have, the rules of the waterways, ways to avoid collisions, and how to handle emergency situations, giving you the tools you need to operate safely on Saskatchewan’s waterways.

I want to operate a boat in Saskatchewan. How do I get the Saskatchewan boating license?

You may have heard that you need a Canada boating license or Saskatchewan boating license to operate a boat. Unlike driving a car, you do not need a driver’s license or a boater’s license to operate a pleasure craft. What you really need is a Canada PCOC. This card is proof that you have successfully completed an approved boating safety course that is required for pleasure craft operators in Saskatchewan and other provinces. Since the PCOC does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Canadian Boat License, Saskatchewan boat license, or pleasure craft license.

Who needs a PCOC?

In Canada, anyone who operates a pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board if the pleasure craft has any type of motor and is used for recreational purposes. This includes boats powered by trolling motors.

Proof of competency shows that a person has at least the basic level of boating knowledge that is necessary to operate a pleasure craft safely. The most common proof of competency is a PCOC that a boater receives after passing a Transport Canada–approved boating safety course. The Canada PCOC is accepted as proof of competency in Saskatchewan and all other provinces.

How do I get a PCOC?

You can get your PCOC by taking the Transport Canada–approved boating safety course from Boat Ed. The Boat Canada boating safety course from Boat Ed was developed specifically for Transport Canada to meet the competency requirements for the PCOC. By taking your boating course on, you can be sure that when you complete the course and pass the Transport Canada Boating Safety Test, you will have the Canada PCOC that you need to operate a pleasure craft legally in Saskatchewan and all other provinces.

With Boat Ed, you can complete an online boating safety course at your own pace and on any device—a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. All courses are mobile-ready, which means that you can complete your course easily and in the way that is most convenient for you. And it only takes a few hours of your time to complete the requirements to get your card.

What if I go boating in another province?

The PCOC that you receive after taking the online Boat Canada Course from Boat Ed is national, making it the only card that you need to operate a pleasure craft in any Canadian province.

If you go boating in the United States, the PCOC is recognized by the United States Coast Guard and the U.S. National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) as meeting their education standards. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Why should I take my boating safety course from Boat Ed?

Boat Ed is produced by Kalkomey Enterprises, LLC. Kalkomey is dedicated to providing print and online boating education courses for North American boaters in Canada and the United States. Boat Ed is the only boating safety education course and exam provider that develops online courses, eBooks, and print materials on behalf of government boating and boater safety agencies in North America.

Boat Canada manual cover
The Boat Canada boating safety course from Boat Ed was developed specifically for Transport Canada and meets the competency requirements for the Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC).

Canada Approved

Transport Canada logo

Transport Canada
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N8 1-800-267-6687

Made in North America

This safety course is proudly made to serve students, agencies, and organizations worldwide.

Start the Course

We’re people, not robots.

Your Boat Ed course comes with a dedicated customer service team made up of real people, not robots. We’re here to provide assistance to you through all channels—phone, email, and chat.

We’re available to help you:

9:00am to Midnight EST, seven days a week.
1-800-830-2268 (toll free), or 214-351-0461