The registration number and expiration decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be placed on each side of the bow of the vessel.
- Number must read from left to right on one line, starting with two capital letters—IL— followed by a space and four numerals followed by a space and two capital letters, for example: IL 1234 AB.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Decals must be placed on both sides of the bow after a space at the end of the number.
- No numerals and letters other than the registration numerals, letters, and expiration decals may be displayed on either side of the bow of any vessel.