Other Facts About Titling and Registering Your Vessel
After registering a vessel, the owner will receive a Certificate of Number (registration card). Here are some facts about registering your vessel.
- Registration is valid for three years. All certificates expire on September 30 at the end of the three-year period.
- If an expiration decal is lost or destroyed, the vessel owner must apply to the DNR for a duplicate.
- The owner of a registered vessel must notify the DNR within 15 days if:
- The owner changes his or her address or…
- The owner transfers all or any part of his or her interest in the vessel or…
- The vessel is scrapped, junked, destroyed, or abandoned.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. These vessels are required to display the expiration decal on either side of the documented vessel name.