Requirements Specific to PWC
In addition to adhering to all boating laws, PWC operators have requirements specific to their vessels.
- Each person riding on or towed behind a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD.
- If the PWC is equipped with an engine cut-off switch, the switch must be functional and the lanyard must be attached to the operator.
- PWC also must have on board:
- A horn or whistle that can make a sound signal audible for at least one-half mile and lasting two seconds or more
- A VDS (a one-foot-square fluorescent orange flag or another USCG–approved day signal)
- PWC owners must not remove any manufacturer-installed backfire flame arrestor or ventilator.