Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
The registration number (sequence of letters and numbers) and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to the forward half of each side of the vessel as high above the waterline as possible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch high, bold, BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: RI 3717 ZW or RI-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on on the forward half of the vessel.
- Decals must be affixed to the right of, and in line with, the registration number on each side of the vessel. Only current decals shall be displayed.
Personal watercraft also are required to display the certificate’s number and validation decals.