Obtain Information and Gather Data
To obtain information and gather data:
- Identify any witnesses.
- Secure the witnesses and move them to an area where they can be interviewed.
- Keep the witnesses separated to obtain unbiased information that has not been influenced by others.
- Complete the Missing Persons Description Form.
- Determine the Point Last Seen (PLS)/Last Known Point (LKP).
- Place witnesses in the exact location where they were when they witnessed the person in the water.
- Use flagging, sticks, or other items to mark directions to point.
- Deploy a buoy or anchored boat on the water.
- Pick visual reference points.
- Flag shoreline location(s).
- Mark with a GPS.