The AHJ should identify the criteria for personnel working in these zones.
- Hot Zone—the most dangerous area
- This area requires the highest level trained personnel using mission-specific PPE to engage in the hostile environment.
- Personnel must have the ability to self-rescue and directly engage in the rescue operation.
- The area is mission-specific and can evolve as the incident progresses. It includes the water and 15 to 20 feet from the water.
- The area should be visually restricted and access controlled.
- Warm Zone—the transition area between the hot and cold zones
- Staging and decontamination of equipment occurs here.
- At a minimum, PPE must include a PFD, a helmet, and thermal protection.
- Cold Zone—the least dangerous area
- This is the support area for the incident.
- This zone may contain the command post, medical support, media area, and rehabilitation area.