All water rescue personnel must be properly trained.
- All personnel must be trained at the NFPA 1670 Awareness Level.
- The AHJ determines which personnel should be trained at NFPA 1670 Operations and Technician Levels.
In addition, guidelines must be established for training drills. This would include having:
- Identified training sites with minimum and maximum water heights for training
- The required instructor to student ratio
- Safety and logistical support personnel as needed to support the training session
- Medical support (onsite equipment and personnel) and a plan for managing a medical emergency during training
- Authorization and permission by the agency or landowner to use a site for the specific date and time of training