Stop the Spread of Invasive Species
To prevent spreading aquatic invasive species.
- Inspect your boat and trailer. Remove any invasive species (zebra mussels and any aquatic plants) you see before leaving the area.
- Drain your motor, live well, and bilge on land before leaving the area.
- Empty your bait buckets on land before leaving the area.
- Never release live bait into a body of water or release aquatic animals from one body of water into another.
- Rinse your boat, trailer, live well, and equipment. It is best to use high-pressure, hot water. A garden hose will work if no other option is available.
- Air-dry your boat and equipment for as long as possible. Five days is optimal.
- Flush the engine’s cooling system with hot water.
- Apply antifouling materials, such as paint and films, to boat hulls, trim tabs, transducers, and swimming platforms to discourage zebra mussel attachment.