To prevent spreading aquatic invasive species.
- Inspect your boat and trailer. Remove any invasive species (zebra mussels and any aquatic plants) you see before leaving the area.
- Drain your motor, live well, and bilge on land before leaving the area.
- Empty your bait buckets on land before leaving the area.
- Never release live bait into a body of water or release aquatic animals from one body of water into another.
- Rinse your boat, propeller, trailer, live well, and equipment; and remove by hand anything trapped between the boat and trailer.
- Air-dry your boat and equipment for as long as possible. Five days is optimal.
- Flush the engine’s cooling system with hot water.
- Apply antifouling materials, such as paint and films, to boat hulls, trim tabs, transducers, and swimming platforms to discourage zebra mussel attachment.