Here are some facts about registering your vessel.
- A Certificate of Number is valid for three years and expires on the last day of the month at the end of the three-year period.
- Vessels registered in another state may operate on Alaska waters for 90 consecutive days before Alaska registration is required.
- The owner of a numbered vessel must notify the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 15 days if:
- He or she changes address.
- The vessel is stolen, recovered, destroyed, abandoned, or sold.
- If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or decals, you must apply to the Alaska DMV for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.