The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be displayed on both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number's color must contrast with its background.
- Letters and numbers must be separated from the numbers by a space (VA 4696 AF) or hyphen (VA-4696-AF).
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be displayed on each side of the vessel within six inches of, and in line with, the registration number. Expired decals must be removed.
Personal watercraft also are required to display the registration number and validation decals.