Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.
- Vessels propelled by a motor (including gasoline, diesel, and electric motors) and sail-powered vessels over 18 feet in length must be titled.
- A Certificate of Number expires every three years.
- The owner of a vessel must notify the agency that issued the Certificate of Number within 15 days if:
- The vessel is sold, destroyed, abandoned, lost, or stolen
- The owner’s address changes
- The certificate of number is lost or destroyed
- If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or decal, you must apply to Virginia DWR for a duplicate.
- Larger recreational vessels may be documented (registered) by the USCG. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.