Operating a PWC
In Virginia, these are the operating laws for PWC.
- It is illegal to operate a PWC between sunset and sunrise.
- When operating a PWC, you must reduce speed to no wake or idle speed when within 50 feet of:
- Docks, piers, or boathouses
- Boat ramps
- Persons in the water (note this does not apply to your towed skier)
- Another vessel other than a PWC
- A PWC must be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner at all times. It is illegal to:
- Weave your PWC through waterway traffic or anchored vessels.
- Steer toward another object or person in the water and turn sharply to spray or attempt to spray them with water.
- Follow closely behind another vessel or skier.
- Jump the wake of another vessel, or cross the path of another vessel, more closely than is reasonable and prudent.
- Cut between a vessel and the person(s) being towed by that vessel.
- It is illegal to chase, harass, or disturb marine wildlife with your PWC.