Specific PFD Requirements
North Dakota law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- All vessels (including unpowered vessels) must have at least one USCG–approved wearable Type I, II, or III PFD for each person on board.
- In addition to the requirement for wearable PFDs, one USCG–approved throwable Type IV device must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer. Unpowered vessels are exempt from the requirement to carry a throwable Type IV device.
- Children who are 10 years old or younger must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD while on any vessel that is less than 27 feet in length and underway.
- Each person riding on a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- Each person being towed behind a vessel must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and readily accessible. The wearable PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for wearable PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.