Displaying the Vessel Number and Validation Stickers
The vessel number and registration decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to the forward half (bow) of each side of the vessel, placed well above the waterline.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, bold, BLOCK letters.
- Number's color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: MD 3717 ZW or MD-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel within three inches of the vessel number and may be placed in front of, behind, above, or below the number.