Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.
- All vessels that require registration must be titled in Maryland also. A vessel will not be registered or have its registration renewed without a valid title. Payment of vessel excise tax on a vessel must accompany an application for a title.
- A Certificate of Vessel Number is valid for two years and expires on December 31 of the calendar year following the year the certificate is issued.
- The MDNR must be notified within 15 days of the sale, trade, or transfer of ownership of a registered vessel.
- You must notify the MDNR within 15 days if your registered vessel is abandoned, lost, stolen, or destroyed.
- If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Vessel Number or decals, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
- A vessel's trailer must be registered with the Motor Vehicle Administration.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels must apply to the MDNR for "documented use" decals and pay vessel excise tax.