Reporting an Accident
The vessel operator, or the owner if the operator cannot submit a report, must report accidents to the MDNR by calling 410-260-8888.
- The operator must report the accident to the MDNR within 48 hours if a person:
- Dies or...
- Disappears or...
- Receives medical treatment beyond first aid.
- The operator must report the accident to the MDNR within 10 days if:
- Damage to the vessel and/or other property is $2,000 or more or...
- There is complete loss of a vessel.
If a vessel with Maryland registration is involved in an accident on waters outside Maryland and the accident results in the death, disappearance, or injury of any person or in property damage of $2,000 or more, the operator or owner must report the accident to the MDNR within 30 days. This does not exempt the operator or owner from reporting requirements in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred.