Small Child PFD Law
The following requirements are also part of Maryland law.
- A child under the age of 4 must wear a PFD that has additional safety precautions as appropriate for an infant, toddler, or young child. These PFDs must:
- Hold the child securely within the PFD, including a strap that is secured between the child’s legs to fasten together the front and back of the PFD and…
- Maintain the buoyancy of the child, including an inflatable headrest or high collar, and...
- Ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the vessel, including a webbed handle.
- This law does not apply to a vessel that is moored or anchored or to a child who is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.