The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: MI 3717 ZW or MI-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on both sides of the vessel preceding the prefix letters of the registration number and within six inches of the registration number.