Specific PFD Requirements
Mississippi law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- All vessels must carry one USCG–approved wearable PFD for each person on board.
- In addition to the above requirements, vessels 16 feet in length or longer must have one USCG–approved throwable device on board and readily accessible.
- Children 12 years old and younger must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD whenever underway in a vessel less than 26 feet in length. This includes all persons who have not reached their 13th birthday. Although not required, it is strongly recommended that all persons on board a vessel wear a PFD.
- Each person riding on or being towed behind a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.