Vessel operators involved in an accident must report the accident. A boating accident includes, but is not limited to, capsizing, collision, foundering, flooding, fire, explosion, and the disappearance of a vessel other than by theft.
- The operator must file an accident report form if:
- A person dies or disappears or…
- An injury occurs causing any person to remain incapacitated for more than 24 hours or…
- Damage to the vessel and other property exceeds $100.
- Report accidents to:
- MDWFP if the accident occurs north of Interstate Highway 10 (I-10)
- Mississippi Department of Marine Resources if the accident occurs south of Interstate Highway 10 (I-10)
- Most reports of accidents must be made within five days of the accident. However, you must file an accident report within 48 hours if a person dies as a result of the accident.