About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Mississippi Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Mississippi Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires some vessels equipped with VHF radios to have a Ship Station License.

  • As of 1996, most recreational vessels no longer need a FCC license if operating domestically. “Domestically” means not traveling to foreign ports or transmitting to foreign stations, including Mexico.
  • Recreational vessels still required to carry a FCC Ship Station License are power-driven vessels over 65.6 feet (20 meters) in length and any vessel on an international voyage.

For FCC Information