Specific PFD Requirements
- All vessels must carry one wearable USCG–approved PFD for each person on board.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- In addition to the above requirements, vessels 16 feet in length or longer must have one USCG–approved throwable device PFD on board and readily accessible.
- Children 12 years old and younger must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD whenever underway in a vessel less than 26 feet in length. Although not required, it is strongly recommended that all persons on board a vessel wear a PFD. This includes all persons who have not reached their 13th birthday.
- Each person riding on or being towed behind a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD.