Vessel operators may not hear sound signals or voices if the engine is not adequately muffled.
- Every powercraft shall be equipped with a muffler or muffler system that is in good working order, in constant operation, and effectively installed to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
- No person shall operate or give permission to operate a powercraft in a manner to exceed the following noise levels:
- 90 decibels on the A scale in a stationary sound level test prescribed by SAE J-2005 (measured from one meter with engine at low idle speed when at dock or tied to another boat)
- 75 decibels on the A scale measured as specified by SAE J-1970 (measured from shoreline with boat in any level of operation, not less than 200 feet away)
- No person shall remove, alter, or modify a muffler in a way that prevents compliance with this section. No person shall operate or allow to be operated a powercraft with an altered muffler or muffler cutout or in a manner that bypasses or reduces the effectiveness of any muffler system.