Finished boating and ready to head home? Here's what you can do to prevent spreading aquatic invasive species.
- Inspect your boat and trailer, removing any nuisance species (including zebra mussels and Eurasian watermilfoil) you see before leaving the area.
- Drain your motor, live well, and bilge on land before leaving the area.
- Empty your bait bucket on land before leaving the area.
- Never release live bait into a body of water or release aquatic animals from one body of water into another.
- Rinse your boat, trailer, and equipment. It is best to use high-pressure, hot water. A garden hose will work if no other option is available.
- Flush the engine's cooling system with hot water.
- Air-dry your boat and equipment for as long as possible. Five days is optimal.
- Apply antifouling materials such as paint and films to boat hulls, trim tabs, water ports, transducers, and swimming platforms to discourage zebra mussel attachment.