Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must do so safely and responsibly.
- No person shall water ski, be towed on any device, or operate a vessel towing a person between sunset and sunrise except upon special permit. Consult an official sunrise–sunset table of the local area for exact times.
- Any person who rides or attempts to ride upon water skis or similar device or who skis barefoot or any boat operator who tows a skier shall confine that activity within a designated ski zone or open zone.
- Exceptions exist for Lake Erie and the Ohio River where these zones have not been established.
- This regulation does not apply if the vessel is traveling at idle speed in a designated “no wake” area and is not within:
- An anchorage area, a boat swimming area, or a boat camping area
- 300 feet of a gas dock, launch ramp, harbor entrance, or bridge underpass
- Any area designated as a “no ski” zone