Who Enforces Boating Laws?
Any law enforcement officer within their jurisdiction may enforce watercraft laws and rules, and, in the exercise thereof, has the authority to stop and board any vessel that is subject to these laws.
- No person shall fail to comply with any lawful order from an officer having authority to direct or regulate the operation or use of vessels. A boat operator shall not purposely elude or flee from an officer after a visible or audible signal to bring the vessel to a stop is given.
- Upon the approach of a law enforcement vessel with a blue flashing light, the operator of any vessel shall stop or give way in any situation until the law enforcement vessel has passed.
- No person shall operate a vessel in a way that creates a wake within 100 feet of:
- A stopped law enforcement vessel with a blue flashing light.
- A public service vessel displaying a red and yellow alternating flashing light.