Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.

  • Motorized boats and sailboats 16 feet in length or more that are not documented with the USCG require a Certificate of Title. Vessel owners may obtain a title from the Wisconsin DNR.
  • Registration is valid for three years, beginning on April 1 and expiring on March 31 at the end of each three-year period. No vessel may be operated after the registration has expired.
  • If a Certificate of Number is lost or destroyed, the vessel owner must apply to the DNR for a duplicate.
  • The owner of a registered vessel must notify the DNR within 15 days of the occurrence of any of the following events.
    • The owner changes his or her address.
    • The owner transfers all or any part of his or her interest in the vessel.
    • The vessel is destroyed or abandoned.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered in Wisconsin.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 5