Responsibility to Others Operating Your Boat
You always should make sure that anyone operating your vessel understands his or her responsibilities as a driver and knows how to operate safely and responsibly.
Before allowing others to operate your vessel:
- Check that they meet the minimum age and boater education requirements for operation in your state.
- Make sure they know basic boating safety and navigation rules.
- Show them how to use the lanyard with the ECOS and require them to use it.
- Explain the importance of obeying “idle speed,” “headway speed,” and “slow, no wake” restrictions.
- Stress the need to keep a proper lookout for other boaters and hazards.