The registration number and validation decal must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed on the forward half of each side of the vessel and placed to be clearly visible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high bold BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by two-inch spaces or hyphens: MS 3717 ZW or MS-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- The validation decal should be placed in line with and within six inches following the registration number on the port (left) side of the vessel.