Displaying the Registration Number and Decals
The registration number, registration decal, and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted on or attached to each outboard side of the bow (forward half) of the vessel.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Number must be as high above the waterline as practical and still be visible.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by hyphens or spaces: MT-234-ABC or MT 234 ABC.
- The permanent registration decal must be securely attached to the left (port) side of the vessel. The decal must be spaced three inches aft (rearward) and directly in line with the vessel number displayed on the left side of the vessel.
- The two validation decals must be securely attached securely on each side of the vessel.
- Left (Port) Side: The validation decal must be attached immediately aft (rearward) of the registration decal.
- Right (Starboard) Side: The validation decal must be attached immediately aft (rearward) of the vessel number.
- No numbers or letters may be displayed on the bow of the vessel.