The following are requirements for vessel operators in Montana.
- Those 12 years of age and younger: May not legally operate any motorized vessel over 10 horsepower (including personal watercraft or PWC) unless accompanied on board by a person who is at least 18 years old.
- A person 13 to 14 years of age: May legally operate a motorized vessel over 10 horsepower (including PWC) only if he or she:
- Possesses a valid Montana motorboat operator’s safety certificate or has evidence of completing an approved boating safety course or...
- Is accompanied on board by a person 18 years old or older.
- A person must be at least 18 years old to rent a motorized vessel over 10 horsepower (including PWC).