Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.
- All vessels that require registration must also be titled in Montana. You must apply for a title within 40 days of the purchase or transfer.
- Validation decals are in effect for 3-year periods and expire on February 28 of the last year of the period.
- New boat owners can title, register, and obtain the permanent registration and validation decals from their local county treasurer's office.
- Boat owners who have already received their permanent registration decal can obtain the free validation decals from their local Fish, Wildlife & Parks office or order them online at the FWP website.
- The owner of a numbered vessel must notify the county treasurer within a reasonable amount of time if:
- He or she changes address.
- The vessel is lost, stolen, destroyed, abandoned, or sold.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Call the USCG's Documentation Center at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.