Montana establishes the following regulations with respect to AIS:
- When transporting watercraft within Montana:
- Stop at all open watercraft inspections.
- When traveling west across the Continental Divide or into the Flathead River Basin, watercraft must be inspected before launching. Boats with ballast tanks or bladders must obtain a decontamination.
- When transporting watercraft into Montana:
- Watercraft must be inspected before launching.
- Non-resident boats launching on Montana waters will be charged an AIS Prevention Pass fee. Go to the Montana FWP website for more information.
- Boats with ballast tanks or bladders must obtain a decontamination.
- It is unlawful to move live fish, aquatic invertebrates, or plants from one body of water to another without FWP authorization. It is unlawful to release live aquarium or baitfish.