The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the boat, placed above the water line where it can be read easily.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters (not slanted).
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space: OR 018 ABC, as shown above.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Validation decals must be affixed on each side of the boat. They should be placed in line with, and three inches toward the stern of, the registration number.