Operators towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must do so safely and responsibly.
- It is illegal for boats to tow persons on water skis or any device of this type between sunset and sunrise.
- The operator of the towing boat and the skier must not operate in a manner that endangers the safety of persons or property. Also, they must not operate while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- It is illegal to tow a person(s) holding onto any portion of the boat aft of the transom (including a step, ladder, platform, or deck) while underway.
Effective January 1, 2020, there are special rules that affect towed watersports on the Willamette River (also known as Newberg Pool) between river miles 30 and 50.
- Boat operators towing a wakeboarder or wakesurfer are required to complete the Towed Watersport Education Course in addition to this course.
- Every boat towing a wakeboarder or wakesurfer in this area must have a current Towed Watersports Decal and Towed Watersports Education Care in addition to Oregon’s Boating Education Card.
- The OSMB has developed an interactive map that is available for your smartphone. This map can help you know which part of the river you are on as well as let you know what type of towing activity is allowed. Visit the OSMB website for more information.