Requirements to Carry Fire Extinguishers
All vessels, including PWC, are required to have a Type B fire extinguisher on board if any of the following conditions exist.
- Vessel is 26 feet or longer.
- Vessel carries passengers for hire.
- Vessel has closed compartments under thwarts or seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored.
- Vessel has double bottoms not sealed to the hull or which are not filled completely with flotation material.
- Vessel has closed living spaces.
- Vessel has closed storage compartments where combustible or flammable materials may be stored.
- Vessel has permanently installed fuel tanks (tanks that require the removal of screws or bolts to remove them from the vessel, or tanks that when filled cannot be easily or readily handled by one person).
Approved types of fire extinguishers are identified by the following marking on the label—“Marine Type USCG Approved”—followed by the type and size symbols and the approval number.